Deer, fever and ER

My last few days have been crazy. Just one crisis coming after another. Thursday brought a visit to Urgent Care for our son who’s cough has continued to get worse. An all day visit to Urgent Care with x-rays, breathing treatment, shot and a prescription for antibiotics. 

While I missed the visit with my parents, my 76 year old mom with Hydrocephalus fell again. This time on the tile floor of their bathroom. My dad could not get in because she was blocking the door. Finally able to move herself, they assured me she was fine, just sore. I had committed to drive a carpool that evening, so I waited until morning to go and see her.

Friday morning I was needed at the office. My mom actually admitted, over the phone to being sore and a bit uncomfortable, but fine. She promised she was resting and eating. Later that afternoon, I did not have a car to take into Atlanta to see her. Again they promised all was well.

Saturday, early when I drove to Buckhead, I found she could hardly move from bed to bath! However she was adamant about NOT going to see a doctor. I told my sister in Florida and ran errands for them, staying until late. Receiving a call from my kids that David was very sick with a fever, I hurried home.

That night around 11:30pm, our newest driver of 16 days was hit in our suburban by a large deer on a dark rainy highway. Sarah and I got up and went to the rescue. Driver was shaken, but fine. Car, not so much. One less car – really??

Sunday after hiring a tow truck, my sister in Florida phoned to inform me, Mom was finally ready for the ER. I left Sarah watching her dad, who’s fever read 101. It took about 4 hours to get x-rays and a CT.  2 breaks in her upper back! While she was being scanned, I was getting frantic texts from my children that their Dad’s fever was really high now and he was talking crazy.

Twice the kids had helped put him in cool water to lower his temp from 106! Nothing was working, but I could not leave my Mom! She was released at 7pm with a neck brace and pain meds. I tucked her in bed at her home, set Dad as a sentry and headed back north. My husband’s fever was 103 by the time I got home and steadily came down as the night wore on. Praise the Lord, no ER for him.

Some days are like that aren’t they? We don’t always walk an easy path, but one thing we are promised is that God ALWAYS walks with us. He promises:

“When you pass through the waters, I will be with you, and through the rivers, they will not overwhelm you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned or scorched, nor will the flame kindle upon you. For I AM the LORD your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior;…” Isaiah 43:2

ForGlorySake! -Anna

This entry was posted in Addiction & Recovery, Children, Illness, Practical Life and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.